Many businesses and individuals fall victim to IRS penalties due to lack of knowledge. There’s no doubt that the IRS has lots of rules and regulations that may be confusing to some who are new to it. If this is the case for you, you most likely need the services of an experienced tax attorney.
Investing in a tax attorney can save yourself and your business from; criminal charges, interest, and IRS penalties that can sneak up on you. Tax attorneys are simply lawyers with extensive knowledge in the very complicated and technical field of taxes.
When is the right time to hire a tax attorney or tax lawyers?
1. If you have a taxable estate and need to file an estate tax return, you need a tax attorney or tax lawyers. You will lose out on lots of money if you don’t have a tax attorney in your corner to help you with complicated estate planning strategies.
2. If you’re starting a business, especially an LLC or corporation, you will find a tax attorney or tax lawyers useful for legal counsel. This will also help you decide on which business structure will make the most sense for you, from a financial standpoint, in the beginning, stages.
3. When conducting business internationally, you are entering into different territories where the laws and regulations are different from that of the USA. With that being said, having an attorney handy will help you with creating appropriate contracts, and other legal matters related to business.
4. When bringing a case to the IRS. Many cases brought to the IRS usually falls on death ears. An attorney will make the process easier and give you a fighting chance.
5. When there’s a criminal investigation against you brought by the IRS, this shouldn’t even be up for discussion. There’s a 100% chance a tax attorney will be needed.
6. If you commit tax fraud (which we don’t encourage), a tax attorney can help with protection on privilege.
7. When you want an independent review of your case in front of the US Tax Court, an attorney is needed 100% of the time.
What does a good tax attorney or tax lawyers look like?
At the minimum, tax attorneys have a Juris Doctor degree and should be admitted to the state bar. However, you want a tax attorney with in-depth training in tax law. Some may even have a master of laws degree in taxation. Simply put, the more education and expertise your attorney has in taxes, the better. Choosing a good tax attorney can save you a prodigious amount of money while hiring a basic lawyer can cost you money.
When handling business in general, you need a tax attorney. This is especially true if you have something to lose, which most of us do. This can be personal finances, business revenues, or your freedom (if you’re fighting a fraud case that could lead to jail time). Either way, make sure you understand when it’s time to hire a tax attorney, and how to pick a good one.